Illegal instruction with ghc-6.8.3 distribution (OS X Tiger)

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 11:59:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

I recently installed ghc-6.8.3 on an iBook running OS X 10.4.11
(PowerPC G4), using the following distribution:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.8.3/maeder/ghc-6.8.3-powerpc-apple-darwin.tar.bz2

Running the following program, compiled with -O, causes an illegal
instruction error:

===========
module Main where

main = print foo

foo :: Integer
foo = gcd 400 85
==================

Running through gdb produced the following output:

Program received signal EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION, Illegal instruction/operand.
0x00046b50 in __gmpn_gcd_1 ()
(gdb) where
#0  0x00046b50 in __gmpn_gcd_1 ()
#1  0x00028cb0 in gcdIntzh_fast ()
#2  0x0002be34 in scheduleWaitThread ()
#3  0x0001fdb8 in real_main ()
#4  0x0001fec0 in main ()
(gdb) quit

Christian, did you compile this distribution on a G5 PowerPC?  GMP is
statically linked into this distribution, so if it's using any
processor-specific instructions I could see that tripping up my G4.
If you or someone else can confirm that this works on a G5, then we
should probably just update the downloads page with that requirement.

Thanks,
-Judah