Library-vs-local performance

Scott Dillard sedillard at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 24 15:08:44 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've got a library that I'm in the process of uploading to hackage (waiting
for account) but the darcs repo is here:

http://graphics.cs.ucdavis.edu/~sdillard/Vec

I notice a slight drop in performance when I install the library using
cabal. Maybe 10-20%, on one particular function. This is in comparison to
when the library is 'local', as in, the source files are in the same
directory as the client application.

What could be causing the performance drop? The function in question
requires impractical amounts of inlining (This is something of an
experiment), but I don't see how installing it as a library affects that.
The functions to be inlined are small, surely available in the .hi files.
Its only when they are applied do they agglomerate into a big mess - 80-200K
lines of core.

The function in question is invertMany in examples/Examples.hs.

Scott