ANNOUNCE: GHC version 6.8.3 binary-dists

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sat Jun 21 10:00:15 EDT 2008

| maybe you can suggest a global flag setting that avoids too much
| inlining during optimization.

As I said to Serge, I *think* all this arises from the *unconditional* inlining of instance declarations, which isn't under flag control unfortunately.  The only fix at the moment is to write instance decls whose code is small -- just call a separate top-level function
        instance C T where
          op = op_T

But this is highly unsatisfactory.  I just need to find a clear day or two to look into this carefully.  Stay tuned.

Simon