Problems interrupting IO with -threaded

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Jun 11 14:25:26 EDT 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Ah, this is a consequence of the change we made to stdin/stdout/stderr so
> that they no longer use O_NONBLOCK, but with -threaded they use blocking
> foreign calls instead...
> I don't see a good workaround...
> Unix semantics just isn't the right thing when it comes to non-blocking I/O.
> If only there were non-blocking read()/write() system calls, we'd be fine.

I believe you that the Unix semantics may not be very pretty. But all modern
high-level programming languages have a getChar that can be
interrupted by ^C. Can't we just do what they all do? This is basic,
essential functionality that we use every day.

In my opinion, Judah should file a bug, and it should be marked
high priority.

Thanks,
Yitz