Build system woes

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Wed Jul 30 09:12:08 EDT 2008

For infrequent updaters like myself, it would also be nice just to have a
HEADS UP before and after periods of larger than usual instability
(such as build system replacements).

And, talking about #ghc, I've got the suspicion that this channel is
partly to blame for the occasional disappearance of critical information:
did I just miss the messages here on cvs-ghc or was the discussion on
#ghc instead? With no logs for #ghc to browse, I've got no idea what
useful information #ghc inhabitants assume to be widely known!-)
Couldn't lambdabot or some other bot file daily logs for #ghc somewhere,
similar to the logs for #haskell? Then I could check whether my issues
are new or well-known.

I used to bug folks here with my "head doesn't build" messages before it
finally dawned on me that the system is in such a state of upheaval that it
will simply take time for things to settle down (rendering my failure
messages redundant). Now I'm just waiting for the HEADS UP that tells
us that things are back to normal, and that 'make;make binary-dist' is
supposed to work again (on windows):

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2008-July/043797.html
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cvs-ghc/2008-July/043798.html

Claus