ghc -O

Ben Lippmeier Ben.Lippmeier at anu.edu.au
Wed Jan 23 20:05:00 EST 2008

Hi Matt,
No, I don't think anything extra is done in the native code generator
when -O or -O2 are enabled. I believe that strictness information is
used in the core stages only, eg to change let bindings (which allocate
thunks) to case expressions (which don't) - but I haven't worked on the
GHC core so I'm not that familiar with it.

There's a plan to turn on the iterative register allocator that I wrote
with -O2, but the STG to C-- translation needs to be improved before
that will have much effect on performance. This is currently being
completely overhauled by Norman Ramsey and co, so perhaps in 6.10.

Cheers,
Ben.