Problem building on host machine when trying to cross-compile an unregistered build

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Mon Jan 21 18:21:48 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 03:23:54PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> First thing to note is that bootstrapping from HC files has bitrotted in
> 6.8.x, see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1346.  I've updated
> the wiki instructions to say this.  You should go back to 6.6.x, or be
> prepared to fix things...  I thought I remembered someone saying recently
> they were looking into getting bootstrapping working again, but I can't
> seem to find it now.

That may be me. I've some local patches for obvious offending stuff
(like utils/pwd or libraries/ifBuildable), and similar more or less
trivia in libraries/Makefile, but I didn't yet even hit the problems
I expect for the GNUmakefiles generated by cabal (which I tend to
include in a pre-build HC file bundle), not speaking of *real*
problems that may (will?) happen on the HC files themselves when
all the make issues have been fixed.

I asked igloo the other day, and now I ask here: if anyone has *any*
attempts for the make problems, even if they don't work, just mail
your diffs to me. No promises, no timeline[1], but I really want
to get HC bootstrapping back.

Ciao,
	Kili

[1] Everytime I expect to have some more time to work on things I
want to work on, something bad happens that stops me from doing so.
At least within the last 14 months.