Integrating editline with ghc

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 17 20:13:20 EST 2008

Alex Young:
> Yitzchak Gale wrote:
>> Isaac Dupree wrote:
>>> GHC is in no legal trouble whatsoever... only if proprietary Haskell
>>> code uses the readline library and doesn't switch to using the
>>> editline
>>> backend.
>> Agreed. I didn't mean that GHC itself was ever in any
>> legal trouble. But as a compiler, it must be possible for
>> users to compile with it without getting into legal trouble.
>
> Yes.  I'm still learning Haskell, and it's my intention to use GHC
> to produce commercial plugins for an application on Windows (and
> possibly OS X, haven't decided yet).  This whole discussion makes me
> worry - not because I have any intention to break any licences, but
> because I might do so by accident.  At this point in my learning,
> I've got no idea what will cause "problem packages" (problems from
> my point of view being ones that cause a phone call to a lawyer) to
> be linked in to my binaries.  It would be enormously helpful if
> there was a wiki page somewhere that said "To use GHC/mingw as a
> compiler for commercial software, it's likely you want to avoid
> these modules and command-line flags" or alternatively "To guarantee
> that no LGPL or GPL libraries are linked, use these flags".
>
> The last thing I want is to cause myself extra work when someone
> chucks my plugin through a hex editor, sees a whole load of GMP
> symbols (for example) and demands some form of compliance that
> commercially I'd rather avoid.

The Haskell package system Cabal has a package description format that
includes an entry stating the packages license.  You can browse
packages at

   http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/hackage.html

and the package entries include the license field.  For example, the
entry for readline

   http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/readline-1.0.1.0

says it is GPL'ed - ie, you may not link it into proprietary code.

I agree that a wiki page explaining this and the situation with static
versus dynamic linking of LGPL'ed code would be helpful.

Manuel