bindist for Intel MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with static libs

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jan 16 23:49:00 EST 2008

Bulat Ziganshin:
> for me, GMP is much more problematic issue. strictly speaking, we
> can't say that GHC is BSD-licensed because it includes LGPL-licensed
> code (and that much worse, it includes this code in run-time libs)

Of course, GHC is BSD3 licensed.  It includes the GMP code as part of
its tar ball to save people from the hassle to separately install GMP
on platforms that don't have it by default (ie, essentially all non-
Linux OSes). That doesn't change the license of GHC at all.  It is a
mere aggregation of different projects.

Even binary distributions of GHC that include libgmp.a and statically
link it into compiled code are not a problem.  You may even use such
GHC distributions to compile proprietary code and distribute it.  All
that is needed to make this legal is to (a) properly acknowledge the
use of GMP in the code and (b) give users access to another version of
the proprietary program that links GMP dynamically.  Point (b) is
sufficient to comply with Section 4(d) of the LGPL, which requires you
to enable users to swap one version of GMP for another in a program
that uses GMP.

Manuel