bindist for Intel MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with static libs

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at
Wed Jan 16 23:24:49 EST 2008

Thorkil Naur:
> Hello,
> On Tuesday 08 January 2008 15:07, Christian Maeder wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've succeeded in building a binary distribution that uses static
>> libraries for gmp and readline. libreadline.a, libncurses.a and
>> libgmp.a
>> with corresponding header files are included. (For license issues ask
>> someone else.)
> On we find:
> "GMP is distributed under the GNU LGPL. This license makes the
> library free to
> use, share, and improve, and allows you to pass on the result. The
> license
> gives freedoms, but also sets firm restrictions on the use with non-
> free
> programs."
> I have not attempted to check whether your distribution fulfills the
> requirements of the LGPL.

It does fullfil them.  The source code of all components of the system
is available enabling users to build the same software with a
different version of GMP.  That's all that the LGPL requires of
software linked against a LGPL library.
> Further, on
> "Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU
> General
> Public License, version 2. This means that if you want to use
> Readline in a
> program that you release or distribute to anyone, the program must
> be free
> software and have a GPL-compatible license."
> For your distribution to adhere to this, it appears to require GHC
> to have a
> GPL-compatible license. I don't believe it does.

It does.  GHC's codebase is a mix of BSD3, LGLP, and GPL.  They are
perfectly compatible.  See <