there isn't any difference, is there, with unboxed tuples?

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Sat Jan 5 05:45:38 EST 2008

Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> Semantically, you are absolutely correct.  However, there is a very
> subtle difference in sharing.
>
> Consider these two functions:
>
> foo (a,b) = (a,b)
> bar tuple = tuple
>
> These two functions are denotationally identical, but at runtime one
> performs more allocations.  If we use unboxed tuples, then the caller
> must always allocate if a tuple is needed; thus effectively we always
> get the allocation behavior of foo.  That is, return unboxing is not
> always an optimization!  However, it *is* always safe if the tuple is
> constructed in the function itself, for then it could not possibly be
> shared with anything.  Having explicit unboxed tuples in the language
> allows this complexity to be moved out of the code generator, which is a
> Good Thing.  (Incidentally, this is what the CPR analysis is all about -
> identifying places where a Constructed Product is Returned.)

hmm. so it might have to be some hypothetical syntax like (... ->
{-#UNPACK#-} (a, b)) when in a data type (for some monad definition in
GHC's code, so I don't want to lose performance by boxing it).  (Either
that or it might actually be more efficient if it were boxed!)  Am I
right that CPR analysis can look at particular functions, but there's no
way for it to change the representation of a function stored in a
data/newtype?

~Isaac