Maps, was Re: GHC source code improvement ideas

Christian Maeder Christian.Maeder at dfki.de
Fri Jan 4 10:38:41 EST 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Regarding Data.Map, I'd be interested in trying out AVL trees instead,
> to see if they have better performance, but then we'd have to import the
> code of course.

Surely, we want the best maps possible for ghc and as public library
(and minimize maintenance).

The problem is to agree on a suitable interface. I would suggest to take
 (or only slightly change) Daan's interface (the current Data.Map) and
improve the underlying implementation possibly using (i.e. Adrian Hey's)
AVL trees.

Christian