H98 Text IO

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Tue Feb 26 14:44:25 EST 2008

Op 26-feb-2008, om 18:42 heeft Chris Kuklewicz het volgende geschreven:
> The goal is that more complicated situations are reflected in
> more complicated "ghc" or "main" invocations.  The least complicated
> usage defaults to being identical cross-platform and regardless of
> terminal I/O.
>
> I think the best default would be UTF8 for all text handles.  This can
> be easily documented, it can be easily understood, and will produce
> the fewest suprises.
 > (...)
> ** Unless influenced by command-line switches, these default to UTF8.
I think that making the behavior of programs change, depending on
compiler options, will produce a lot of surprises. I think that being
only able to set the default encoding from within the program is a
better idea, because it keeps the specification of the behavior of
the program inside the source.

Reinier