H98 Text IO

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 26 08:34:54 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 13:22 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:

> So some alternatives that fix this are
>
>    1. all text I/O is in the locale encoding (what C and Hugs do)
>
>    2. stdin/stdout/stderr and terminals are always in the locale
>       encoding, everything else is UTF-8

I was initially confused about how this one was different from what I
first proposed.

The difference is that I was suggesting stdin/stdout/stderr be in the
locale *only* if thet're connected to a terminal, rather than always.

>    3. everything is UTF-8

Personally I'm not really fussed about which compromise we pick. I think
the more important point is that all the Haskell implementations pick
the same compromise so that we can effectively standardise the
behaviour.

Duncan