static constants -- ideas?

Jay Scott jay at satirist.org
Sun Feb 24 22:37:46 EST 2008

Don Stewart dons at galois.com:
>jay:
>> I also have constants that are too large to compile. I am resigned to
>> Data.Binary eases the irritation somewhat.
>
>Did you try bytestring literals (and maybe parsing them in-memory with
>Data.Binary)?

That didn't occur to me, since neither of my large constants includes
strings.... I think you're suggesting that each constant could appear in
the source as a long bytestring and be deserialized into the data
structure. If that works, it should improve the startup time, but it's
still not as nice as simply compiling it straight up.

I'll try it.

  Jay