how to use ghci-debugger with packages

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Feb 23 20:36:08 EST 2008

Am Sonntag, 24. Februar 2008 02:18 schrieb Frederik Eaton:
> Hello,
>
> I have a program which uses some code in a package, and I would like
> to be able to find out the source of an error which is occuring inside
> that package. Can I use the ghci-debugger to do this? If I try to set
> a breakpoint inside the package, it says:
>
> "cannot set breakpoint on Vector.Sparse.Wrappers.vmergeOp: module
> Vector.Sparse.Wrappers is not interpreted"
>
> But this page:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/current/docs/users_guide/ghci-debugger.html
>
> has no use of the word "package", so I assume that reading that (long)
> document won't ansnwer my question...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Frederik

The users-guide says
"There is one major restriction: breakpoints and single-stepping are only
available in interpreted modules; compiled code is invisible to the
debugger."

The modules of an installed package are always compiled, I think.
If you have the source available, you could try to put that in your working
directory (probably hide the installed package before starting ghci).
Cheers,
Daniel