ghci feature request: partially read modules

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sat Feb 16 12:58:29 EST 2008

Sure.

Syntax errors are usually easy to spot and fix
(for the programmer who uses some reasonable code layout);
the motivation for my proposal was type errors.

I think it would be perfectly acceptable
if ghci rejects modules with parse errors (as it does now)
but handles modules with type errors more gracefully.

Since type checking a group of declarations (= a module)
often considers all declarations at the same time,
there may be no sensible way to proceed after a type error.

Then it would even be OK
to not bind any of the identifiers of the module,
as long as the import declarations are available at ghci prompt.
(This would still be an improvement over the present situation.)

Best regards, Johannes.