ghci feature request: partially read modules

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sat Feb 16 10:53:24 EST 2008

Hello.

Here is one ghci feature that I find mildly annoying:

If ghci (re-)reads a module that contains some error,
then it considers the module loading as a complete failure,
and at the prompt I get the Prelude environment.

I'd like to have at least the import statements executed,
and possibly the declarations that were error-free.
That would help me in interactively debugging
the erraneous part of the module.
(Often the error is some type error, related to some imported entity;
but when my module contains the error, then the imports are gone.)

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, then please educate me;
or perhaps there's an easy way to implement partial reading
and typechecking. (It'd be enough to have this for the "current"
module, of course.)

Thanks - Johannes Waldmann.