Is GHC 6.8.2 on solaris 32 bits or 64 bits

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 07:24:34 EST 2008

Christian Maeder wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>> hsing-chou chen wrote:
>>> Thank you for porting GHC 6.8.2 to solaris, I am assigned a
>>>
>>> job to make sure GHC run 64 bits on solaris. Is your
>>>
>>> solaris port 64 bits. Or it only 32 BITS. I know 32 bits
>>>
>>> GHC can still run on 64 bits solaris. However company want
>>>
>>> to run really 64 bits GHC on solaris. Thanks a lot if you
>> You want to look at the porting instructions:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Porting
>>
>> Start from GHC 6.6.1 (6.8.2 doesn't bootstrap from .hc files yet).
>>
>> This won't be easy, you'll need to know details of the processor
>> architecture, and be prepared to learn about GHC internals.  But it'll
>> be fun, if you like that sort of thing :)
>
> That's too much for me. I'll wait until ghc-6.8 (or ghc-6.10) can be
> bootstrapped from C-sources.

Waiting for 6.8 or 6.10 to be bootstrappable won't actually help with the
porting you need to do to get a 64-bit Sparc port working.  You'll still
need to modify parts of the system that deal with architecture- and
platform-specific things.

If I get libffi integrated (hopefully for 6.10) then this will reduce the
porting effort, as the clever libffi folks will already have 64-bit Sparc
support.  However, we'll likely be dropping the C backend in 6.10, so the
only way to get good performance will be to write a native code generator.
  Hopefully by then we'll have refactored the NCG to make it easier to add
new ones, though.