Bootstrapping for Leopard

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 07:18:01 EST 2008

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>> Things are complicated because
>>
>>  - on Cygwin, pwd gives you /cygdrive/c/...
>>  - on MSYS, pwd gives you /c/...
>>
>> (remember we still support MSYS), and we want c:/...
>>
>> So we used to use cygpath on cygwin, and some horrible sed command on
>> MSYS, IIRC.  It was a mess, and frequently went wrong.
>>
>> Sure there are other ways to do it, but I think at the time it seemed
>> simpler to write a Haskell program.  In hindsight, probably a C
>> program (compiled using mingw gcc) would be better for bootstrapping.
>> A shell script would be problematic for the reasons above, I'm guessing.
>
> I understand that this is a difficult issues, but as it is booting from
> HC files and hence porting is simply broken.  So, I wonder what the way
> forward is...

Porting is "simply broken" for various reasons at the moment - in
particular the switch to Cabal for building the libraries broke it.  We
knew this at the time, but felt it was more important to make the switch
now and fix bootstrapping later.

For pwd, I imagine the best way forward is to use a C program, I don't
think there are any deep issues there.