length of module name affecting performance??

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 29 06:54:54 EST 2008

| Subject: Re: length of module name affecting performance??
|
| That's a truly awesome feature!  I'll shorten all my module names to
| single letters tomorrow.

Awesome indeed :-).  Try shortening all your variable names to single letters to, to see if that helps.  Oh, and delete all comments.

I recall that you and Thomas followed both these precepts rigorously when writing the LML compiler. I well remember trying to understand the lambda lifter, which was a miracle of compact programming: it did a *lot* in a single page of code, but all function definitions were equally impenetrable
   f x p l g i n = (g l [p], h i (i+p))

What a great bug -- I would never have predicted it, but in retrospect it makes perfect sense. Record selectors had better get fixed.