ghci and ghc -threaded broken with pipes & forking

Tomasz Zielonka tomasz.zielonka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 14:52:39 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact you should think of the non-threaded RTS as deprecated.  It isn't
> Haskell'-compliant, for one thing (assuming that Haskell' will probably
> require non-blocking foreign calls).
>
> I'm hesitant to actually deprecate it, for a few reasons: the threaded RTS
> is so much more complicated, it might have some adverse performance
> impliciations, and there are still people who want to run everything in a
> single OS thread, for whatever reason.  But having multiple variants of the
> RTS is a maintenance and testing headache.

Had you deprecated the non-threaded RTS, we would probably have no problems
described in ticket #2848 :-/

I think you'll have to deprecate it anyway, because it will be more
and more difficult
to maintain two versions of code, especially if one of them will be
much less used and
tested.

Best regards
Tomasz