Build system idea

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 28 22:21:06 EDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 28, at 22:00, Sterling Clover wrote:
> We do have, although not with easy access, an additional declarative
> layer "built in" 90% of the time as configuration as type signature.

Sure?  I think it's easier than you think:  someone's already written
code to extract the information from .hi files (and indeed ghc will
dump it for you:  ghc --dump-iface foo.hi).  In theory there could be
a master dictionary of these hosted on hackage, collected from each
package's own dictionary, and a given package's dependencies could be
computed with high accuracy from it.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu