SHA1.hs woes, was Version control systems

C Rodrigues red5_2 at
Fri Aug 22 10:05:04 EDT 2008

I've "fixed" this problem by increasing the number of registers used on ia64 to 34.  The problem will show up again if anyone finds a way to make GCC use even more registers.

>> Sorry, I couldn't find the rest of the preceding message. Someone
>> wrote that they had to turn down cc flags to get SHA1.hs to compile on
>> IA64.
> Yep.
>> What C compiler was being used, and what were the symptoms?
> GCC.
> As I recall the symptoms were that gcc used more than 32 registers and
> then the mangler balked. The reason is that a registerised ia64 build
> expects to only use the first 32 registers but does not take any
> precautions to make sure that this is the case. It just relies on the
> fact that most code coming out of the ghc backend cannot make use of
> more than a handful of registers. If gcc does actually use more then the
> mangler catches this. We tried some flags to make gcc restrict itself to
> a subset of the registers but could not get it to obey.
> Duncan
Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger.  Find out how.