Version control systems

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 05:55:20 EDT 2008

Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>  From what you are saying, it seems that one "advantage" of git
> (in-place branch switching) is not going to be useful to GHC in any case
> (because we use nested repositories).

As far as I can tell, in-place branches are not a lot of use to us compared
to just having separate checkouts for each local branch.  For one thing,
having separate source trees lets you keep multiple builds, whereas with
in-place branches you can only have one build at a time, and switching
branches probably requires a complete rebuild.

However, I think I am convinced that using in-place branches for the master
repo makes sense.  That way we don't need to publish the names of new
branches when we make them, and everyone can easily see which branches of
GHC are available from the main repo.