Version control systems

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Aug 14 07:14:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:35:42PM +1000, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

> Rebuilding with stage1 was already needed to build GHC with a builtin
> readline.  In general, it is a bad idea to build distributed binaries
> of Haskell programs with the *bootstrap compiler*.  It must be done
> with the stage1 compiler.  (If you are unsure why, I'll happily
> elaborate.)

No, I understand why it was necessary, I just had problems with the way
it was done.

Of course, it would have been possible to extend the old build system to
build the two versions in separate directories, but it would have meant
adding more complexity to an already-complex system. I believe that
using a Cabal-based build system instead has made things simpler.

Thanks
Ian