Build system idea

Roman Leshchinskiy rl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 23:31:55 EDT 2008

On 12/08/2008, at 20:11, Simon Marlow wrote:

> - Extract the code from Cabal that generates Makefiles, and treat it
> as
>   part of the GHC build system.  Rather than generating a Makefile
>   complete with build rules, we generate a Makefile that just
>   has the package-specific metadata (list of modules, etc.), and put
>   the code to actually build the package in the GHC build system.

Sounds good. It would be nice if the .cabal parser from Cabal could be
made into a separate, stable library which ghc (and nhc?) could use.

This makes me wonder, though. Wouldn't this model make more sense for
Cabal in general than the current approach of duplicating the
functionality of autoconf, make and other stuff? If it works ghc, it
ought to work for other projects, too. Cabal as a preprocessor seems
much more attractive to me than as a universal build system.

Roman