Version control systems

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 12 20:39:25 EDT 2008

Ian Lynagh:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:10:31AM +0100, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
>>
>> On 12 Aug 2008, at 01:35, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>>> Ah, good point!  Changing ghc to git means *all* developers of boot
>>> libraries need to use git *regardless* of what repo format the boot
>>> libraries are in.  After all, they need to validate against the
>>> current ghc head before pushing.
>>
>> It is worth pointing out that I *never* validate against ghc head
>> when
>> I commit to the core libraries.
>
> Also, all of the people who send us patches don't need to validate
> (and
> I suspect most of them don't), as we validate the patches before
> pushing
> them.

Well, its up to you whether you want to validate for other people, but
I don't think that is the right policy.  Everybody (including Malcolm)
should validate.

If you contribute code to the linux kernel, comprehensive testing of
the code is a requirement, too.  It's not as if it were a strange
requirement of GHC as an open source project to ask people to test
their code properly.  In fact, I even tell my first year students that
they should test their code properly.  Maybe we should hand books to
introductory software engineering out to potential ghc and library
contributors.  (Sorry to get cynic, but I can't believe that we are
even discussing that.)

Manuel