Build system idea

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 08:55:54 EDT 2008

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This means we still get to use 'make', we still get to use the .cabal
>> files  as metadata, but the build system is more private to GHC, more
>> extensible,  and hopefully more understandable and modifiable.
>
> This is essentially the same approach that nhc98 currently takes to
> building libraries.

Right, I was aware that nhc98 uses this method but forgot to mention it.
Thanks for pointing it out.

I think it makes a lot more sense for us to re-use parts of Cabal than to
re-implement the whole thing, although the balance is probably different
for nhc98.  Cabal generates the InstalledPackageInfo from the .cabal file,
for example, and this is certainly something we don't want to re-implement.