Version control systems

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 13:27:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:17:59PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> The main obstacle with just switching the core libraries is that they
> are shared by other implementations and other maintainers.  So I see no
> alternative but to create forks of those repositories for use by GHC,
> unless/until the other projects/maintainers want to migrate to git.

Forking is much worse than using multiple vcs's, and if we don't fork,
anyone working on those libraries will have to use git at least to get GHC
HEAD to check that they're not breaking it.  And clearly GHC developers
outnumber developers of other implementations.  (I don't think a move
to git will lead to more GHC developers, but I buy the interns argument.)

My concern is that there are rather more developers of libraries and
assorted other packages, and this will place an arbitrary divide across
those.  Unless everyone moves to git, of course.