Version control systems

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:29:47 EDT 2008

On 11 Aug 2008, at 13:00, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> It's not clear to me that we've really bothered to find out. The last
> evaluation in relation to ghc that I'm aware of was prior to the 2.0
> release. My impression is that we've all complained about the darcs v1
> problems (justly) but spent the most effort investigating things other
> than darcs v2 which would be the easiest to upgrade to and not have
> the
> problems of using two different systems for ghc vs other libs.

I converted the ghc repo to darcs2 (locally):

Getting file local history:

  * darcs changes --last 20 compiler/main/HscTypes.lhs

    very quick but prints only two patches

  * darcs changes compiler/hsSyn/HsTypes.lhs

    1m22s  (16s for the second time)

    Git <1s

  * darcs get ghc2  ghc-test  (creating a *local* branch)

    real    13m25.365s
    user    0m14.677s
    sys     0m29.541s

    (at least it seems it actually worked, though)

    git clone ghc g2  (the slow method of creating a local branch)

    real    0m6.742s
    user    0m0.335s
    sys     0m0.652s

  * I haven't tested a remote pull yet.  At 80 Kb/s, it should take
about 15min to clone via Git (70 MB).  A test of darcs would be
interesting.

Finally, of course, we have to hope that Darcs2's conflict problems
are actually solved.  I also had some weird automerges with Darcs
when pulling from Max' repository, so Darcs isn't flawless there,
either (this seemed to be one of the main critiques of Git).

/ Thomas
--
Awareness is the enemy of sanity, for once you hear the screaming, it
never stops.