Version control systems

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Aug 10 07:59:07 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 02:16:25PM +1000, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> Duncan Coutts:
> >
> >I don't especially relish having to learn another vcs tool or raising
> >the bar for contributions to Cabal either (we have lots of people who
> >make small one-off contributions).
>
> I don't think it matters what vcs Cabal uses.  GHC does already for a
> while use a separate repo for its version of Cabal, and the GHC Cabal
> repo needs to be explicitly updated to ensure that changes to Cabal do
> not randomly break GHC.  To be honest, if I had to say anything, I
> would say that GHC has to uses fixed, stable versions of Cabal (like
> it does of gmp).  So, it really doesn't matter what vcs Cabal uses.

Unless we do get to a point where we are literally using tarballs[1] of
Cabal, I don't think using a mixture of VCSs for Cabal is a good idea.
Having to convert patches from one VCS format to the other sounds like a
recipe for a lot of pain and suffering.

[1] which I think is a bad idea anyway, as it makes it a lot more hassle
to fix Cabal bugs that GHC+bootlibs expose.

Thanks
Ian