Version control systems

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Aug 10 07:32:00 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 06:56:23PM -0400, Norman Ramsey wrote:

>   * I violently agree with whomever (Don? Malcolm?) said that the
>     Haskell community will prosper to the degree that we have *one*
>     build system and *one* version-control system.  And when the build
>     system or version-control system is standard, we gain eyeballs and
>     developers.  I haven't found a standard build system that I am
>     willing to use, but I think git is good enough to be used.
>
>   * Our long-term goal should be to get the *entire* Haskell
>     development community to agree on a version-control system---one
>     that is not darcs.  We should expect this process to take several
>     years, and we should expect it to cost money.  Would Microsoft or
>     Galois or York or other large players be willing to donate part of
>     an expert's time to migrate to the new version-control system?

It is, of course, up to people with money what they spend it on, but
personally I would much prefer to see money spent on making darcs
better, for reasons I won't repeat again.

If it makes a difference, I would expect a research paper on how
conflictors work would be easy to produce as a side-effect, as we would
need to get a good description of how it works, and proofs that it does,
anyway.

Also, I expect we could get a BSDed darcs as a result.

Thanks
Ian