Version control systems

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 10 00:22:06 EDT 2008

Isaac Dupree:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 15:46 +1000, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>>> Raising the bar for developers to contribute to a project has
>>> been  proven to be a very bad idea many times.  Let's not take GHC
>>> down that  path.
>> I don't especially relish having to learn another vcs tool or raising
>> the bar for contributions to Cabal either (we have lots of people who
>> make small one-off contributions).
>
> I wonder how many of the libraries are "core" in that they need to
> be changed a lot for GHC?

The boot libraries, ie, those needed to build the HEAD of the ghc repo:

   SUBDIRS  = ghc-prim $(INTEGER_LIBRARY) base array packedstring
   SUBDIRS += containers bytestring old-locale old-time filepath
directory
   ifeq "$(GhcLibsWithUnix)" "YES"
   SUBDIRS += unix
   endif
   ifeq "$(Windows)" "YES"
   SUBDIRS += $(wildcard Win32)
   endif
   SUBDIRS += process pretty hpc template-haskell editline Cabal
random haskell98

Here Cabal, is ghc variant of the Cabal repo, not the actually Cabal
head.

The whole point is to make sure that anybody who decides to hack GHC
needs to install and learn just one vcs, not two.

Manuel