Version control systems

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 06:31:58 EDT 2008

2008/8/6 Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 22:12 -0700, Don Stewart wrote:
>> marlowsd:
>> > Following lots of useful discussion and evaluation of the available DVCSs
>> > out there, the GHC team have made a decision: we're going to switch to git.
>>
>> Hooray, this will generate a lot of open source good will, and help make
>> GHC more accessible to the outside world.
>
> Heh, you still need darcs to build it, because all the libs are using
> darcs, and that's not going to change any time soon.

One thing that might be a good idea is setting up Git mirrors of the
libraries etc that we cannot convert to Git since other people depend
on them. This would give us nice integration with Gits submodule
support, allowing us to check out a consistent snapshot of the entire
tree (including the libraries, Cabal etc) at any point in time
straightforwardly. Of course, as a bonus you wouldn't have to install
Darcs to clone.

Cheers,
Max