Optimisation of unpackCString#

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:16:07 EDT 2008

> Optimisation and ghci don't go together, so I don't know what your point
>  is there.

It's very worth having the application work in both Hugs and GHCi, and
its not always GHC=faster, only if you compile it - so you trade your
compile time for your run time. A delicate balance, with more than one
local optima.

>  Anyway, its the same with ByteString -- we have it work in ghci or hugs
>  or nhc, but its only worth actually optimising for GHC.

Can you use overloaded Strings with Hugs? I am not aware of how to. I
am happy to use RULES's and pragmas etc, but I can't see a way of
doing overloaded strings this way, as by the time I've got to RULES
I've gained the unpackCString, which just won't go away!