[Haskell] How to define tail function for Even/Odd GADT lists?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 24 03:52:26 EDT 2008

[Redirecting to ghc-users]

You're right that tailList "ought" to work.  There are at least two reasons that it doesn't.

First, GHC does not have a robust implementation of GADTs + functional dependencies. The interaction is very tricky.

So I tried re-expressing it using type families, thus:

    data Even; data Odd

    type family Flip a :: *
    type instance Flip Even = Odd
    type instance Flip Odd = Even

    data List a b where
       Nil  :: List a Even
       Cons :: a -> List a b -> List a (Flip b)

    tailList :: List a b -> List a (Flip b)
    tailList (Cons _ xs) = xs

(I find the program quite a bit easier to read in this form.)

Now I get the error (from the HEAD)

    Occurs check: cannot construct the infinite type: b = Flip (Flip b)
    In the pattern: Cons _ xs
    In the definition of `tailList': tailList (Cons _ xs) = xs

There's a bug here -- reporting an occurs check is premature.  But there is also a real problem: if you look at the type constraints arising from tailList you'll see that you get
        c ~ Flip b
        b ~ Flip c
where c is the existential you get from the GADT match. Now, *we* know that b = Flip (Flip b) is always tru, but GHC doesn't. After all, you could add new type instances

        type instance Flip Int = Bool
        type instance Flip Bool = Char

and then the equation wouldn't hold. The best we can hope for is to get

        tailList :: (b ~ Flip (Flip b)) => List a b -> List a (Flip b)

although this too is rejected at the moment because of the above bug.

What we really want is a *closed* type family, like this

        type family Flip a where
                Flip Even = Odd
                Flip Odd = Even

(preferably supported by kinds) and even *then* it's not clear whether it's reasonable to expect the compiler to solve the above problem by trying all possibilities.  This relates to http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2101

That is probably more than you wanted to know.  Since there's a bug here, I'll make a ticket.

Simon