help with an intriguing problem

Liang Guang jimmyguang2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 18:20:32 EDT 2008

Thanks! It is a very helpful hint..
  I didnot find the profiling library for ghc-6.8.2, so I installed ghc661-prof, but the yum ( i use fedora 8) installed the latest ghc-6.8.2, so they end up in different directories..
  now it is working.

  Cheers,
  Liang

Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fischer at web.de> wrote:
  Am Freitag, 18. April 2008 22:14 schrieb Liang Guang:
> Hi!
> the ghc compiler keeps complaing " can't find module 'Char', perhaps you
> haven't installed the profiling libraries for package haskell98?". but
> actually I did install it, and i checked with ghc -v , it is right there:
> "wired-in package haskell98 mapped to haskell98-1.0.1.0", and Char.hi is
> right there in the folder haskell98-1.0.1.0.. can't figure out why it
> happened.. anyone please ?
>

> Thanks!
> Liang

On second reading, ghc asks for profiling libraries for haskell98, that would
mean you should look for Char.p_hi. If there are no *.p_hi files in the
folder, that library wasn't built for profiling and you should do that then,

runghc ./Setup.hs configure -p
runghc ./Setup.hs build
runghc ./Setup.hs haddock
runghc ./Setup.hs install