compiling on solaris 9

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Sat Sep 15 09:42:39 EDT 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 13:58, skaller wrote:
> [...]
> 1. Measure the size (and alignment, while at it) of all the
> integer types. (trial execute and run).
> [...]
> 4. For the ones provided, AND size_t, ptrdiff_t, check
> their size (and signedness). (trial execution)

Small additional note: One can determine the size and alignment *without*
always resorting to trial execution. Autoconf does this by an
ingenious "evaluation by compilation" technique in case of cross-compilation,
see the implementation of AC_CHECK_SIZEOF and AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF.

> [...]
> 6. Test what the typedefs found are actually aliased to
> using C++ (there is no other portable way to do this).
> (Trial execution)

To be honest, I don't understand that point...

Cheers,
  S.