compiling on solaris 9

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Sat Sep 15 08:42:26 EDT 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 13:58, skaller wrote:
> The RIGHT way to do this is rather messy .. but there is only
> one right way to do it. [...]

IMHO things are not that black or white: I think we have a tradeoff between
almost 100% fool-proofness (which is basically the approach you describe) and
the ability to do cross-compilation (use available headers and perhaps
fail/guess if nothings sensible could be found). What is "right" has to be
decided on a case-by-case basis.

But of course you are totally right in one respect: OS-based tests when used
in a context like our example are silly and should be replaced by
feature-based tests (be it "Do we have <foo.h>?" or "What is the result of
compiling/running blah.c?").

Cheers,
   S.