-O in 6.8.1-candidate

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Sat Oct 20 13:11:08 EDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 03:25:04PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 10:54 -0300, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>
> > How can user who does not modify Cabal file choose between all three of
> > -O0, -O and -O2?
>
> They cannot. Cabal currently only support a binary notion of
> optimisations. So it's either -O0 or -O.

As I understand, the Cabal developers claim that a user of an applied
package  p  does not need to change anything in the file  p.cabal.
But there is a contradition here.
For example, a user may need to build  p  via  p.cabal  under GHC and
once under -Onot and next time under -O2.  Suppose also that once the
user needs to build  p  under  -prof -auto-all  and next time -- under
-prof  only. How can one do all this without intruding into  p.cabal ?

Personally, I would like better if the default for Cabal does not set
any GHC options, and a user to be invited to edit the field
`ghc-options:' in the .cabal file.  This way, it looks simpler and
less confusive.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru