type families not advertised for 6.8

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 17 13:07:41 EDT 2007

| on <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1716#comment:2> I read: “we are
| not advertising type equalities for 6.8”.  What does this mean?  Is it
| possible that type family support will be removed from GHC at some point?

Absolutely not; quite the reverse.  It means that some of the *code* for type functions happens to be in the 6.8 release --- but that code has bugs.  It's only in 6.8 for our convenience (to avoid too great a divergence between the HEAD and 6.8), but we do not plan to *support* type functions in 6.8. Doing that would delay 6.8 by 3 months.

Instead we are working hard on making type functions work in the HEAD.