ghci changes in 6.8 that are not improvements

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:36:49 EST 2007

Alex Jacobson wrote:

> $ darcs get http://happs.org/HAppS-Begin
> $ cd HAppS-Begin
> $ curl http://searchpath.org/searchpath/SearchPath.hs > SearchPath.hs
> $ ghc --make SearchPath.hs -o sp
> $ sp ghci -ihaskell haskell/Main.hs
> Prelude> :r

I don't see any unnecessary reloading here:

Ok, modules loaded: [snip].
*Main> :r
Ok, modules loaded: [snip].

Tried this on both x86_64/Linux (Fedora 6) and x86/Linux (RedHat 7).  Any
idea what might be different about your setup?

 > Also, HAppS.Server.Facebook takes forever to compile.  I don't
 > understand why.

That module did take about 15 seconds to load up in GHCi.  It looks like it
  contains quite a few datatypes and a lot of derived instances (derived
using TH), so my guess is it's just large.  Does it take significantly
longer to compile with 6.8.1, or has it always been slow?