suggestion: add a .ehs file type

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Fri Nov 23 10:26:04 EST 2007

Am Freitag, 23. November 2007 03:37 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 01:50 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > Dont’t just think in terms of single modules.  If I have a Cabal package,
> > I can declare used extensions in the Cabal file.  A user can decide not
> > to start building at all if he/she sees that the package uses an
> > extension unsupported by the compiler.
>
> Indeed. In theory Cabal checks all the extensions declared to be used by
> the package are supported by the selected compiler. In practise I'm not
> sure how well it does this or what kind of error message we get.
>
> Duncan

The problem is, of course, that you are not forced to specify all used
extensions in the Cabal file since you can still use language pragmas.
Sometimes it is even desirable to use LANGUAGE pragmas instead of information
in the Cabal file.  For example, even if some modules use undecidable
instances, I might not want all modules of the package to be compiled
with -XUndecidableInstances since this could hide problems with my class
structure.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang