ghci changes in 6.8 that are not improvements

Alex Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Wed Nov 21 14:33:46 EST 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Alex Jacobson wrote:
>> 1. just using : at the prompt caused a reload.  Now you have to type :r.
>
> Interesting, I was not aware of that behaviour, so probably fixed it by
> accident :)

Yeah, Igloo said the same thing.  Everyone I talked to about the feature
didn't know about it until I pointed it out.  If it was an accident, it
was still a really useful feature and would love to have it back.

>> 2. reload now reloads all modules rather than just the modules that
>> changed (faster but not as fast as not reloading them at all).
>
> That is certainly not intentional, and I don't see that behaviour here.
> Can you give us code and steps to reproduce?

$ darcs get http://happs.org/HAppS-Begin
$ cd HAppS-Begin
$ curl http://searchpath.org/searchpath/SearchPath.hs > SearchPath.hs
$ ghc --make SearchPath.hs -o sp
$ sp ghci -ihaskell haskell/Main.hs
Prelude> :r

Also, HAppS.Server.Facebook takes forever to compile.  I don't
understand why.

-Alex-