single-stepping and infinite recursion

pepe mnislaih at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:20:48 EST 2007

Hi Wolfgang,

you are right, this behaviour is a bit surprising. What you want to
observe can be obtained with, for example:

loop c = putChar c >> loop c

where loop is not a CAF anymore since it takes an argument.
In the definition that you gave, main is a CAF and gets evaluated only
the first time. The subsequent times it is entered do not trigger any
further evaluation: the IO action is already evaluated and the only
thing left to do is execute it. This does not trigger a breakpoint
since no evaluation proper is done.

For more information about CAFs see

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Constant_applicative_form

That page remarks that CAFs are an optimization which does  not alter
referential transparency. Unfortunately their special behaviour is
highlighted by the ghci debugger.

If you want to find the reason for an infinite loop:

1. enable the flag -fbreak-on-error
2. run your expression with :trace (eg :trace loop 'a')
3. hit Ctrl-C while your program is stuck in the loop to have the
debugger break in the loop.
4: use :history and :back to find out where the loop is located and why.

Cheers
pepe