ghc/haskell tool registry (was: GHC 6.8.1 on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard))

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Nov 19 08:01:51 EST 2007

may i suggest a different approach? most shells have commands
to list programs in PATH beyond the first match, such as
'whereis ssh', 'which -a ssh', or 'type -a ssh'. now, this won't
help directly because the ghc tool in question might not be on
the PATH.

but as this issue is so widespread, one could extend one of the
existing haskell package registries (ghc-pkg, cabal) to cover
haskell tools as well. every haskell tool would know how to
register itself with its current location, and how to query the
haskell tool registry for the location of other tools (preferably
from the same build/version). since we're on the ghc list:

    ghc-tools (un-)register <path>/ghc<version>
    ghc-tools list ghc<version>
    ghc-tools describe runhaskell
    ghc-tools field location ghc-6.9
    ghc-tools field user_guide ghc-6.9
    ..

pros:

    - knowing your version would be sufficient to find
        all the tools from your bundle
    - finding all available haskell tools would be easy

downsides:

    - tools would have to register themselves after
        installation/relocation, and unregister during
        uninstall
    - there is no single ghc-pkg/cabal instance to choose,
        but multiple versions..

the former is no worse than for packages, the latter
is a runhaskell-style issue: we want a single ghc-tools
in the path, but we don't care who provides it.

claus