GHC 6.8.1 on powerpc OS X 10.5

haskell at list.mightyreason.com haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Fri Nov 16 08:50:38 EST 2007

There are two possible avenues to proceed along.  The first is to figure out
from the crashing stage2 compiler what is going wrong to cause the segfault.

But I think this compiler was created in a broken state.  The "unknown
relocation error 4" from the new 'ld' in 10.5 means it sees but cannot handle
scattered PPC_RELOC_HI16 segments.  I am guessing that the stage2 compiler is
linked wrong, which may be why it ends up with a bad address and the error:
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
> Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x4082000c

I do not think I know enough about compilers and linkers to write a good bug
report to Apple about the fact that 'ld' seems (to me) to write scattered
PPC_RELOC_HI16 segments which it cannot read and recognize.

Corey O'Conner : you are debugging ld as well.  Does the 'ld' code look broken
to you (as detailed in my earlier reply to your message) ?

Cheers,
  Chris