[Haskell-cafe] Re: some links broken in 6.8.1 documentation

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Wed Nov 14 21:12:10 EST 2007

Hi Daniil,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:56:23PM +0300, Daniil Elovkov wrote:

> Do I understand it right that the idea of the split was letting all
> packages (possibly apart from base) emerge more or less independently
> from ghc releases?

It's possible to install a newer version of a bootlib, and for all the
libraries other than base and ghc it ought to be easy.

> So, can package version numbers increase under the same 6.8.1
> directory over time?
>
> And, if a package is updated between two ghc releases, will the
> extralibs tarball be updated (and precompiled binary ghc packages, for
> that matter) ?

We won't be making updated 6.8.1 bindists (or Windows installers).

Bindists (and the Windows installer) for other releases in the 6.8
branch may well contain different versions of some extralibs, and some
extralibs may be added to or removed from the set included. We make very
few promises about extralibs, and we don't consider them part of the
release.

Thanks
Ian