GHC 6.8.1 Build Failure on Mac OS X Intel 10.4.10

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 06:00:49 EST 2007

Denis Bueno wrote:
> On Nov 9, 2007 4:38 AM, Bjorn Bringert <bringert at cs.chalmers.se> wrote:
>> I have this in my ~/.profile so that I don't have to keep giving
>> flags to configure for every single thing I build against MacPorts
>> libraries:
>>
>> export CPATH=/opt/local/include
>> export LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
>
> Thanks, Paul and Bjorn.  Indeed, this did the trick.  Any thoughts why
> ./configure claimed to have discovered readline on its own, but then
> was unable to use it?  Or maybe, for some reason, the message is
> unrelated?

There are two separate tests: (1) whether your installed GHC claims to have
a readline package, which succeeded, and (2) whether the C library for
readline can be found, and this latter test failed.  The build itself
should not have failed though - it should just have built GHC without
readline support.  I think I fixed the bug that caused this recently, and
I'll make sure the fix gets merged into 6.8.2.